The turn of the year can only mean one thing. It’s time for New Year’s resolution-setting! No groaning allowed. We’ve made it easy with tips for setting – and keeping! – your resolutions this year.
We’ve researched the top resolutions and rewritten them to help get your best-you mojo going for 2019. So instead of a broad wishful-thinking kind of goal, give yourself a specific task and create manageable steps to achieve it.
Tips for making resolutions you actually keep
- Write it down
- Pick a concrete step toward your end-goal
- Ask yourself if the action is realistic
- Identify the specific obstacles and road blocks keeping you from already achieving your aim
- Try and try again
- Remember, failure helps you learn, become more resilient, and build character!
Top 10 Resolutions for 2019
- Exercise more get a gym membership and/or personal trainer; attend that yoga class; find a workout buddy; buy a bicycle; download a fitness app; set your alarm for 5 a.m.
- Lose weight download a calorie tracking app; set a reminder to get up from your office chair every 30 minutes; get rid of clothes that don’t fit; buy an outfit that you love; throw away your scale
- Eat better eat a salad for dinner 5-6 days a week; stock your car/desk with healthy snacks; try a new vegetable each week; drink more water
- Take control of your health make that doctor appointment; get a full physical exam; catch up on health screenings
- Learn something new make a list of things you’d like to do; take a class; buy a how-to book; have a friend teach you their skill/hobby
- Practice self-care or decrease stress create stress-free zones in your home; download a meditation app; schedule a massage; cross something off your to-do list; lighten your workload
- Spend more time with family and friends call, don’t text; schedule a weekly/monthly date; host a game night; make a resolution with a friend such as working out or taking a class
- Drink less alcohol and/or stop smoking choose a plan to quit; seek professional help
- Be more productive and/or stop procrastinating create a daily routine; delete social media/gaming apps; go to bed/wake up earlier
- Save more/spend less make and follow a budget; keep track of spending using an app; sell things you no longer need; set up an automatic deposit into a savings account