All across the country, it has gotten easier to maintain a gluten-free diet, and San Diego is no exception. In fact, the growth of the restaurant industry means there are more gluten-free options than ever. So whether you’ve got celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, or are just trying to eat healthier, check out our resources for living gluten-free in SD.
Gluten-Free Grocery Stores
Most supermarket chains now include at least a small gluten-free section, but these few offer a multitude of options.
- Barons Market – A smaller, family-run chain with multiple locations (North Park, Point Loma, Rancho Bernardo, Alpine, Temecula, Murrieta, Wildomar)
- Keil’s Fresh Food Store – Popular for its hundreds of gluten-free products (San Carlos)
- Whole Foods Market – Offers natural and organic foods including gluten-free items (Hillcrest, La Jolla, Del Mar)
20 of Our Favorite Gluten-Free Restaurants, Bakeries, and Cafés
- 2Good2B Bakery and Café – Gourmet gluten-, corn-, and soy-free foods (Encinitas, Rancho Bernardo)
- Bushfire Kitchen – A wide array of GF and GF-by-request American dishes, including breakfast (Del Mar)
- Café Gratitude – Well-known for its vegan fare, it also serves GF items, including bread (Little Italy)
- Chocolate Bar & Bistro – Vanilla, caramel, and cacao-inspired cuisine including GF brunch, dinner, and desserts (South Park)
- Civico 1845 – Authentic Italian with gluten-reduced, gluten-free, and celiac-safe options (Little Italy)
- Coronado’s Gluten-Free Pantry –Pick-up only bakery items all GF (Coronado)
- Cueva Bar – GF tapas selection and happy hour hot spot (University Heights)
- The Curious Fork – A bakery, café, and cooking school with a particularly tasty GF breakfast menu (Solana Beach)
- Del Mar Rendezvous – Popular Chinese and vegan food with dozens of GF dishes (Del Mar)
- Donna Jean – Vegan comfort food with many GF offerings (Banker’s Hill)
- Duck Foot Brewing Company – Co-founded by a celiac sufferer, all the GF beer you can drink (Miramar)
- Fig Tree Café – Allergy-conscious kitchen (Pacific Beach, Hillcrest, Liberty Station)
- Garden Kitchen –Farm-to-table foods from scratch with GF options (Rolando)
- Mendocino Farms – Popular GF-option salad and sandwich mini-chain (La Jolla)
- The Mission – Highly popular brunch spot with a full GF menu (Mission Beach, North Park, East Village)
- Officine Buona Forchetta – Upscale Italian place offering GF pizza (Liberty Station)
- Red Door – Farm-to-fork restaurant with GF options (Mission Hills)
- Solare – Southern Italian cuisine with GF bread, pasta, and pizza options (Liberty Station)
- Starry Lane Bakery – This little piece of heaven bakes all GF—as well as nut-, soy-, dairy-, and egg-free – breads and cakes (Hillcrest)
- True Food Kitchen – Diet-friendly kitchen with delicious seasonal menus (Mission Valley, UTC)
Tips for Going Gluten-Free
- Get this gluten-free buyer’s guide that gives yearly awards for gluten-free excellence in dozens of categories from food and cookbooks to magazines and college campuses.
- Try gluten-free pasta or look for vegetable-based alternatives (like spiralized veggie noodles).
- Check your supplements. Some contain ingredients derived from wheat.
- Don’t forget your cosmetics. Toothpaste and lipstick can contain gluten.