Summertime means pool and patio parties and relaxation time! So you’ll want your home’s exterior to be the perfect outdoor living space for you, your family, and friends. Whether you’re an old-school DIYer or looking for ways to make yard maintenance simpler, here are our tips for whipping it into shape. Smart home automation gives you more time for lounging. Check out these time- and energy-saving smart products.
- You’ll save time (and possibly avoid a dreaded chore!) by purchasing an automated lawn mower, though the money savings are questionable with mowers ranging from $600 to $3,500.
- A smart irrigation system controlled by an electric or hydraulic device allows you to schedule watering remotely according to your landscape and current weather. The cost for the whole system averages around $2,500 depending on the size of the lot and is cheapest DIY, but is well worth the savings on your water bill.
- Smart exterior lights can be as simple as installing any number of app-controlled bulbs or fixtures on our property from porches and patios to walkways and gardens.
- If you have a pool and/or spa, you can now operate it from your smartphone. Pool and spa automation involves a control hub that is connected to your pump, heater, and smart relays, which control additional devices such as lights or booster pumps.
- Speaking of pools, for safety and security (especially if you have children), you may also want to connect motion-activated security cameras to get live video alerts on your smartphone when movement is detected in your pool area.