The New York Times, Forbes, the Huffington Post, and others agree – San Diego is one of the most pet-friendly cities in America. We especially love our pups, which is good news for at least one-third of San Diego households who heart dogs too. From pet-friendly breweries and restaurants to every kind of pet pampering imaginable, San Diego is doggy paradise.
Best Dog Parks & Beaches
Here are the top places to play with your pooch around San Diego, and here is a list from the city of approved leash-free parks. (Note: city rules require leashes in city-owned spaces outside of city-designated off-leash areas, and tickets for violations can run up to hundreds of dollars!)
- Balboa Park – While not all of Balboa Park allows off-leash, it offers three separate dog parks:
- Grape Street Dog Park – Tucked away in a quiet residential area at the intersection of Grape and 28th Streets in South Park, this is the largest of the three Balboa dog parks.
- Morley Field Dog Park – Located at the west end of the Morley Field Sports Complex, it provides easy access to the Florida Canyon Nature Trails, which dogs can explore when back on leash.
- Nate’s Point – With over 2 acres of off-leash space for dogs, located on the West Mesa of Balboa Park, it’s a big park that is also close to downtown.
- Canine Corners – An off-leash dog park located in Harry Griffen Regional Park in La Mesa, this park features three separate fenced areas for dogs of different sizes to run and play and shady places for their owners to sit and watch.
- Coronado Dog Beach – Leash-free year-round on the western part of the beach; it’s marked by signs that run along Ocean Blvd. from Sunset Park on Ocean Drive to the border of the U.S. Naval Station.
- Del Mar Dog Beach – North Beach, the county’s “other” dog beach, is located north of 29th Street and stretches nearly ½ mile to the border with Solana Beach. Nine months of the year, dogs are allowed along the entire two-plus mile stretch of beach in addition to the city’s two major parks, Seagrove Park and Powerhouse Park.
- Fiesta Island – Located in Mission Bay Park, Fiesta Island is leash-free in the fields and along the beaches and also offers a 5.2-mile asphalt path around the island.
- Ocean Beach Dog Beach – The original dog beach, OBDB is nationally famous and one of the first official leash-free beaches in the United States.
- Poway Dog Park – A 1.75-acre off-leash area for dogs located at Poway Community Park, this park has 3 fenced-in areas with dog faucets and picnic benches.
Dog-Friendly Restaurants & Coffee Shops
You can find a list of places to chow down with your fur-baby HERE (most confine you to the patio), but here are some favorites that also offer treats, doggy menus, and more:
- Anthony’s Fish Grotto (La Mesa) – offers dog menu
- Backyard Kitchen and Tap (Pacific Beach) – dog treats and dog adoption parties
- Bottega Americano (East Village) – offers dog menu
- Claire’s on Cedros (Solana Beach) – house-made dog biscuits
- Crack Shack (Little Italy) – serves house-made doggy treats
- Encontro (North Park) – offers dog menu
- Fred’s Mexican Café (Mission Valley)
- In-N-Out Burger (various locations) – ask for the “Puppy Patty”
- La Jolla Brewing Company (La Jolla) – offers dog menu
- Landini’s Pizzeria – monthly “yappy hour”
- Lazy Dog (Mission Valley) – offers dog menu
- The Patio on Goldfincy (Mission Hills) – doggy treats and indoor seating
- The Patio on Lamont (Pacific Beach) – half off “dogtails” at brunch on the weekends
- The Quartyard (East Village) – has a fenced-in dog run
- Sally’s Fish House & Bar (Marina District) – treats and complimentary tennis balls
- Slater’s 50/50 (Point Loma) – offers a dog menu
- Sprinkles Cupcakes (UTC) – offers “pupcakes”
- Starbucks (various locations) – ask for a “Puppuccino”
- Sun Deck Grill (Hotel del Coronado) – Sunday “yappy hour”
- The Wine Pub (Point Loma) – offers a dog menu
Work Out With Your Dog
You and Fido can both stay fit together! Try out these exercise classes with your puppy pal:
Dog Activities & Events
Dog activities and events abound in San Diego! Here are some of the most popular: