This year, St. Patrick’s Day is a little bit luckier since the March 17th holiday falls on a Saturday! We love to raise a glass to the Irish heritage in all of us with a pint, especially if it’s green. Just be sure to soak up all your liquid intake with some hearty Irish food (and book an Uber for the ride home!).
If you really want to do it up, check out these big parties happening downtown.
- San Diego Pub Crawler – The SD Downtown pub crawl is a great way to navigate the chaos of Downtown on St. Paddy’s, and it will take you to four different bars Friday or Saturday night for green beer, Irish drinks at Irish pubs, dancing, and live music.
- ShamROCK – If you like the nightlife – and you like to boogie – get a ticket for this Gaslamp Gaelic fest featuring three stages with live music, dancers, performers, and (of course!) green beer.
- IRISH 4 A DAY – Beginning at 3 p.m., this St. Patrick’s Day Party Hop includes access to over 20 clubs and bars in the Gaslamp Quarter, green beer included, so you can celebrate till the wee hours.
Celebrate with all of San Diego at the largest St. Patrick’s parade west of the Mississippi!
- 38th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Irish Festival – The Irish Congress of Southern California is putting on their annual free parade and festival from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Balboa Park. The day promises more than 75 food/craft booths, a beer garden, two live music stages, and a Celtic village. A Kid Zone will host young performers and traditional Irish music, as well as carnival rides and crafts.
These bars are a sure-thing for St. Patrick’s Day charm, any time of the year.
- Hooley’s Public House – Enjoy live music and more on the 17th at this popular Irish bar in La Mesa.
- Mo’s Big Lucky Saturday – Head to “upbeat, gay-friendly” Urban Mo’s Bar & Grill in Hillcrest for a St. Patty’s Day celebration that includes charity bingo, country line dancing, drink specials, and green beer.
- O’Sullivan’s Escondido and Carlsbad – Nicknamed “North County’s authentic Irish pub,” this pub has been voted one of the best Irish pubs in San Diego. Check out their St. Patrick’s Day celebrations featuring a limited menu and live music ( see website for cover charge info).
- Poway’s Irish Pub – One of San Diego’s best dive bars, this pub offers a special St. Patty’s Day menu, outdoor beer garden, and Irish entertainment, plus the rock band Serious Guise.
If the color of your beer is less important than the taste, a local brewery might be the perfect St. Paddy’s place for you.
- Green Flash Brewing Co. – It may not be the color green, but for beer connoisseurs who want “real” beer to celebrate with on St. Paddy’s, the tasting room and beer garden at Green Flash Brewing Co. in Sorrento Valley offers up to 30 beers with a craft taste and a “green” name. They are open from noon to 9 p.m. on the 17th.
- Mike Hess Brewing – Celebrate 1-5 p.m. at this brewery in North Park where the party involves a traditional corned beef and cabbage feast and a featured Hooligan Irish Stout.