Making better financial decisions is consistently at the top of Americans’ New Year’s resolution list. Here are Willis Allen’s top tips for getting your financial house in order in 2018.
- Set a goal. Do you want to buy a home? Go back to school? Retire? Keeping your sights set on the endgame can help keep you on track.
- Be realistic about your budget. Take a hard look at where you spend your money and identify areas where the purse strings can be tightened. Money management apps like Wally, GoodBudget and Mint can help.
- Pay off debt. Depending on your debt load, you could set up a payment plan, reduce your spending, or get a second job.
- Max out matches. If your company matches retirement contributions, start saving the amount to meet that mark. You don’t want to leave “free money” on the table!
- Get creative about spending less. Can you exercise outside instead of joining a gym? Would meal-planning help you cut down on your grocery bills? Could date night be a walk on the beach instead of a night on the town? It can be fun to find creative ways to spend less!